We love butternut squash around here. We eat it for the holidays in this Cranberry, Apple & Butternut Squash Bake. It’s especially delicious in this Butternut Squash Casserole. Looking for a meal to feed a crowd? Check out my Stuffed Butternut Squash recipe!
So really, it’s no surprise that when I was making an easy, one skillet, chicken thigh recipe, I’d toss in some butternut squash.
You can certainly buy pre cubed butternut squash but if you’re wondering how to cut your own, check out this post: How to Peel & Cube a Butternut Squash.
The best part about this one skillet, chicken thigh recipe with butternut squash is already in the title – one skillet. Perfect for the busy weeknights when you have to hustle the kids out the door before summer sports or when you’ve been running errands all day. Here’s my pro mom tip: make sure you have a skillet that can go from the stove top to the oven, like this one. You really don’t want something with a handle that’s going to melt or burst into flames once in the oven. Any good quality cast iron skillet will work perfectly, even ones like these.
How to prepare my skillet chicken thinghs with butternut squash
We end up making this one skillet chicken thighs with butternut squash recipe at least once a week!
- PREP TIME: 15 mins
- COOK TIME: 30 mins
- TOTAL TIME: 45 mins
- AUTHOR: Trisha
- SERVES: 4-6
- ½ lb of Nitrate Free Bacon
- 6 Boneless, Skinless Chicken Thighs
- 2-3 cup Butternut Squash (cubed)
- Extra Oil for Frying (Coconut)
- Fresh Sage, chopped
- Salt & Pepper to taste (remember the bacon will be salty so use salt sparingly)
- Preheat oven to 425.
- In a large skillet, over medium heat, fry bacon until crispy.
- Set bacon aside & crumble when cooled.
- In the same skillet, sauté cubed butternut squash in bacon grease until soft. Season to taste with salt & pepper. Once squash is soft, remove from skillet & place on a plate.
- Add coconut oil to your skillet if the bacon grease looks low.
- Add chicken thighs, top down in the skillet & cook for 10 minutes.
- Lightly season the thighs with salt & pepper.
- Flip the thighs over, then add your squash back into the skillet all around the thighs.
- Remove the skillet from the stove top & place in your preheated oven.
- Bake in oven for 12-15 minutes until chicken is cooked through.
- Carefully remove from oven, top with crumbled bacon & fresh sage.