This easy Instant Pot chicken noodle soup recipe is a great recipe to try your hands at when you’re looking for an easy meal that the entire family can enjoy, or are just craving for some comfort food.
The recipe is perfect for an everyday home cook, and packs in the savory, delicious flavors from the chicken broth, the juiciness of the tender shredded chicken and the cooked noodles which make it such a soulful, filling meal.
Also known as Instant Pot Cockadoodle Noodles or cockadoodle soup this has to be one of my favorites in my list of Instant Pot recipe options.
What I Love About the Recipe
My favorite part about this recipe is its simplicity. Pressure cooking is one of my favorite cooking methods because it really cuts down the cooking time so much.
Plus, Instant Pot cooking uses high pressure, which helps preserve the nutrients in food.
Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup Cooking Times
- Prep time 20 minutes
- Cook time 16 minutes + pressure build and release time
- Yields 6-8
Ingredients For the Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe
You’ll need just a handful of simple ingredients to make the best chicken noodle soup.
- Chicken Leg: Forms the protein base of the soup, lending a rich flavor.
- Garlic: Adds depth and a pungent kick to the broth.
- Dried Thyme: Infuses the soup with a herbaceous note.
- Seasonings: Salt and pepper balance and enhance the other flavors.
- Liquid Smoke: Introduces a subtle smoky undertone.
- Yellow Onion: Contributes a savory sweetness to the broth.
- Carrots: Adds texture and a touch of sweetness while boosting the nutritional profile.
- Home-style Egg Noodles: Provide a hearty, comforting element to the soup.
How to Make the Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
Once you have all your ingredients ready, here’s what you’ll need to do to make the Instant pot chicken noodle soup.
Step 1: Pressure Cook Chicken with Spices
Add water, chicken, spices, and liquid smoke to the instant pot. Seal the lid and pressure valve. Cook on high for 15 minutes. Quick release pressure when done.
Step 2: Shred Chicken
Remove and shred chicken. Set the cooked chicken aside.
Step 3: Chop the Veggies
Dice the onions to the desired size, and peel and slice the carrots.
Step 4: Let Noodles Cook with Chicken and Veggies
Add egg noodles, meat, and vegetables back to the instant pot. Seal the lid and pressure valve. Let the noodles cook on high for 2 minutes. Let pressure release naturally before opening.
Step 5: Serve Immediately
Serve and enjoy with your favorite crackers.
Tips & Tricks to Make the Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
Think you’re ready to try out this absolutely delicious recipe? Here are a few substitutions, tips and tricks you might want to keep in mind.
- To make the chicken noodle soup healthier, you can use whole wheat egg noodles.
- I also like to add a bit of olive oil into the Instant Pot when I’m cooking the chicken.
- You can also add a bay leaf into the Instant Pot along with the chicken to add flavor to the chicken stock.
- Remember to remove the bay leaves from the pot after you’re done cooking time chicken.
- Don’t forget to top the soup with a generous squeeze of lemon juice and some chopped fresh parsley or any other fresh herb of your choice.
What Other Cut of Chicken Can I Use?
While I’ve used chicken legs for this recipe, you can use almost any other cut of chicken you prefer.
Chicken thighs and chicken breasts are both great choices. You can use raw chicken or frozen chicken for this recipe- it all depends on what you prefer.
I like to use a whole chicken that I can section out as needed, but you can also choose to use packaged chicken breast as an option.
You can also choose to cut down on the cooking time for this Instant Pot chicken noodle soup by using rotisserie chicken and shredding it instead of using the Instant Pot to cook the chicken.
If you’re using chicken breasts, I would recommend using boneless skinless chicken breasts for best results.
How Do I Store the Leftover Chicken Noodle Soup?
You can store the leftover Instant Pot chicken noodle soup in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
Remember to reheat the soup in the microwave to keep the noodles from breaking down. If you’re reheating it on the stovetop, make sure you turn the heat down and avoid stirring the noodle soup too much.
Can I Use Dehydrated Chicken In Chicken Noodle Soup?
When it comes to making chicken noodle soup, the type of chicken you use can make all the difference in the taste and texture of the dish. While some cooks may opt for fresh chicken, others turn to dehydrated chicken as a convenient alternative. But can you really use dehydrated chicken in chicken noodle soup?
The answer is yes! In fact, dehydrated chicken can be a great option for adding flavor and protein to your soup, especially if you don’t have fresh chicken on hand.
Just be sure to follow the instructions on the package carefully and adjust the cooking time and liquid levels in your soup recipe accordingly.
With a little creativity and experimentation, dehydrated chicken can be a tasty addition to any chicken noodle soup recipe. To learn how to dehydrate chicken check out this fantastic article!
If you enjoyed this chicken noodle soup recipe and are inspired to try some more interesting chicken soup recipes or Instant Pot recipes, here are a few handpicked ones you might want to try.
- Healthy Quinoa Salad Recipe
- Easy Shrimp Scampi Spaghetti
- Breakfast Tacos With Harissa Lime Sour Cream
- 3 chicken leg quarters
- 5 cups water
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1/2 yellow onion diced
- 2-3 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 cups fresh home-style egg noodles
- Add water, chicken, spices, and liquid smoke to the instant pot. Seal the lid and pressure valve. Cook on high for 15 minutes.
- Quick release pressure when done.
- Remove and shred chicken. Set the cooked chicken aside.
- Dice the onions to the desired size, and peel and slice the carrots.
- Add egg noodles, meat, and vegetables back to the instant pot. Seal the lid and pressure valve. Let the noodles cook on high for 2 minutes. Let pressure release naturally before opening.
- Serve and enjoy with your favorite crackers.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 322Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 203mgSodium: 408mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 34g