Need a delicious idea for these Plantain Tortillas? Check out my Breakfast Tacos with Harissa Lime Sour Cream!
I’m gonna warn you this post is really image heavy because I feel like there’s such a method to making these tortillas & I really want you to be successful when you give it a go!
I use 3 plantains & I kinda prefer them more yellow than green but that’s just because it makes em a tad easier to peel & gives a bit of sweetness to the tortillas. Peel & cut your plantains & you should have about 1 pound. I’ve never had exactly 1 pound – usually closer to 14 oz to be exact – but I don’t think a couple oz difference will matter in this case.
Place all your ingredients except the water in a high powered blender. As your mixture comes together, slowly pour the water in & blend until it looks like batter.
I like to use a cookie scoop to help make those round tortilla shapes & it also keeps each one about the same size due to the amount of batter.
When shaping the tortillas, I try & make them pretty thin. This will help them bubble up & get crispy.
I try & do two full cookie sheets & get about 4 tortillas on each sheet. They are about 4-5 inches across. Pop them in the oven at 425 for 10 minutes, then give them a flip & bake them for another 7-10 minutes. Try & really watch the last few cooking minutes. Depending on how thin you spread the tortillas, these babies could burn up. I’ve had it happen to me a couple times & it’s no bueno.
How to prepare plantain tortillas
- PREP TIME: 10 mins
- COOK TIME: 20 mins
- TOTAL TIME: 30 mins
- AUTHOR: Trisha
- SERVES: 10-12 tortillas
- 3 medium Plantains approx. 1 pound (peeled & cut into chunks)
- 1 Egg
- 2 Tablespoons Coconut Oil (melted)
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ cup Water
- In a high powered blender, place plantains, egg, coconut oil & salt & blend until combined. Slowly drizzle water until a batter like consistency is reached & there aren’t any plantain chunks left.
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Line 1-2 baking sheets with parchment paper (best results).
- Using a cookie scooper, swirl the plantain batter in a small circle, about 4-5 inches wide.
- Place in the oven & bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven, flip & then bake for 7-10 more minutes.
- Watch the tortillas the last few minutes to make sure they don’t burn on the edges.
- Remove tortillas from oven & repeat the process until your batter is gone.