Summer is just the right time to put all your fresh produce to use, and this Air Fryer yellow squash recipe is a must try if you’ve got some of that gorgeous yellow squash at hand.
This can be a wonderful side dish that’s gluten free, healthy and super easy to put together.
With minimal ingredients and practically 5 minutes of prep time, this is a great recipe to consider trying out when you’re lacking inspiration.
What I Love About the Recipe
My favorite part about this recipe is its cooking method. Air frying is a great way to get food nice and crispy without too much oil, and this Air Fryer summer squash recipe is the perfect example.
With just a few simple ingredients apart from the squash, this side dish is an ideal choice when you’re looking for a low effort option. You might also want to try Air Fryer Sweet Potato Cubes too, which are super tasty and easy to cook.
Air Fryer Yellow Squash Cooking Time
- Prep time: 10 minutes
- Cook time: 15 minutes
- Yields 4 servings
Ingredients For the Air Fryer Yellow Squash Recipe
You’ll need just a few simple ingredients to make this easy Air Fryer yellow squash recipe.
- Yellow squash: The star of the dish, chosen for its tender texture and mild flavor.
- Paprika: Lends a warm, spicy undertone to the squash.
- Garlic powder: Adds a savory depth, enhancing the overall taste.
- Seasonings: Salt and pepper adjust the flavor balance.
- Olive oil: Helps to achieve a crispy exterior in the air fryer.
How to Make the Air Fryer Yellow Squash
Once you have all your ingredients ready, here’s what you’ll need to do to make the summer squash in the Air Fryer.
Step 1: Preheat Air Fryer
Preheat your air fryer to 400°f.
Step 2: Slice the Yellow Squash
Slice the squash to 1/4” thick.
Step 3: Toss in Spices
Add squash to a mixing bowl. Toss in oil and spices. Fully coat the squash.
Step 4: Arrange Squash in the Air Fryer Basket
Place each slice of squash in the air fryer basket, do not place them on top of one another.
Step 5: Cook Squash Slices
Cook each batch at 400°f for 15 minutes. Let cool and serve.
Tips & Tricks to Make the Air Fryer Yellow Squash
Ready to give this simple recipe a try? You may want to keep these little tips and tricks handy too.
- While yellow crookneck squash is the best choice for this recipe, you could also choose to team it up with some zucchini or some extra veggies of your choice to turn it into a delicious side dish that the whole family will enjoy.
- If you want to, you can also peel yellow squash before you air fry it.
- You can choose carrots, zucchini, bell peppers, baby corn, onion and other vegetables of your choice to make your Air Fryer veggies.
- While air frying is a process that will automatically make your vegetables crispy, you can also choose to go the extra mile and coat them in some breadcrumbs after you toss them in the seasonings and oil.
- Remember to arrange the squash slices in a single layer in your Air Fryer basket, and toss them midway through the cooking time so that they’re nice and crispy on both sides.
- Cook the yellow squash until they’re golden brown.
What Else Can I Use to Season the Squash Slices?
I used a mix of garlic powder, salt and pepper along with a dash of paprika to season the Air Fryer yellow squash.
You can also use any other seasonings of your choice. Onion powder, cayenne pepper, peri peri seasoning and ranch seasoning are all great choices.
You could also choose to top the squash slices with some Parmesan cheese if you want to.
Can I Store Cooked Squash Slices For Later?
You totally can!
If you have some leftover air fried yellow squash, you can allow it to cool down and transfer it to an air tight container in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
I would recommend reheating the squash slices in the Air Fryer once again.
More Air Fryer Recipes
If you enjoyed this easy summer squash recipe, and are inspired to try some more such interesting recipes, here are a few handpicked ones you might want to check out.
- Air Fryer Cauliflower With Teriyaki Sauce
- Best Summer Fruit Tart
- Mediterranean Green Bean Salad
- What Does Butternut Squash Taste Like?
- 2 yellow squash
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Preheat your air fryer to 400°f.
- Slice the squash to 1/4” thick.
- Add squash to a mixing bowl. Toss in oil and spices. Fully coat the squash.
- Place each slice of squash in the air fryer basket, do not place them on top of one another.
- Cook each batch at 400°f for 15 minutes. Let cool and serve.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 66Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 134mgCarbohydrates: 8gFiber: 3gSugar: 4gProtein: 2g