This slow cooker Mongolian beef tastes just like the one you would find at your favorite Chinese restaurant, and needs just 10 minutes of prep time to put together.
The flank steak pieces are cooked to perfection and have an amazing flavor with all the spices and sauces added in.
If you love Asian recipes and are looking for an easy recipe to try out, you’ve got to give this one a shot!
What I Love About the Recipe
Slow cooker meals are my absolute favorite, because they are such a great way to whip up a nice meal with very little prep time.
You’ll almost always find me cooking my family loved meals in my Instant Pot, and I’m a big fan of my Crock Pot too.
This slow cooker Mongolian beef recipe in particular, is perfect for my weekday dinner time. My family loves it, and I can also store leftovers for later!
Slow Cooker Mongolian Beef Cooking Time
- Prep time: 10 minutes
- Cook time: 2.5 hours on high, or 4-5 hours on low
- Servings: 4
Ingredients For the Mongolian Beef Recipe
You’ll need a simple set of ingredients to make this slow cooker Mongolian beef recipe.
- Flank Steak: The star of the dish, providing hearty and tender meat.
- Garlic: Adds a punch of umami flavor, enhancing the overall taste.
- Fresh Ginger: Imparts an earthy aroma and flavor.
- Scallion: Brings a touch of freshness and color to the dish.
- Reduced Salt Soy Sauce: Provides the color and savory flavor, without over-salting.
- Brown Sugar: Balances the savory with a hint of sweetness.
- Cornstarch: Crucial for thickening the sauce and creating a rich texture.
- Vegetable Oil: Used for sautéing, flexible with other oil types.
- Sesame Oil: Adds an authentic Asian flavor note.
- Sesame Seeds: A crunchy garnish that adds visual appeal and texture.
- Seasonings: Simple salt and pepper bring out the flavors of the ingredients.
How to Make Mongolian Beef
Once you have the Mongolian beef ingredients ready, here’s what you’ll need to do to make the dish.
Step 1: Cut the Flank Steak into Thin Strips
Thinly cut the flank steak against the grain, and then dice. Put the steak in a bowl.
Step 2: Season and Add Cornstarch
Season flank steak with salt and pepper to taste, and coat with cornstarch. Mix until well combined.
Step 3: Mince Garlic and Ginger
Mince your ginger and garlic.
Step 4: Add Coated Flank Steak to the Slow Cooker
At the bottom of the slow cooker, add the vegetable oil and then add the steak.
Step 5: Add Seasonings and Stir Fry
Then add the garlic, ginger, brown sugar, sesame oil, soy sauce and water. Stir ingredients until well combined.
Step 6: Turn on the Slow Cooker
Turn the slow cooker on 2.5 hours on high or 4-5 hours on low. Then stir when done cooking.
Step 7: Garnish with Chopped Green Onions and Sesame Seeds
Slice the scallion. Garnish the Mongolian beef with scallions and sesame seeds and serve over rice.
Tips & Tricks to Nail the Recipe
Ready to make this slow cooker Mongolian beef? Here are some more tips and tricks you might want to note.
- To add some more flavor to the sauce, you can also add a dash of Hoisin sauce into the slow cooker along with the flank steak.
- I used flank steak for this recipe, but you can also try making slow cooker Mongolian beef with skirt steak or Sirloin steak or practically any other cut of beef of your choice. The idea is to get a tender bite once the beef is done cooking.
- To cut down the prep time for this recipe, you can also prepare the sauce with the minced garlic, low sodium soy sauce brown sugar and other ingredients and bottle it up. This can last for 3-4 days in the refrigerator, and you can use it whenever you’re making the recipe.
Can I Make the Beef Without a Slow Cooker?
Using Crock Pots or any other slow cooker for that matter is a great idea, not just when it comes to making this Mongolian beef recipe, but a lot of other recipes.
A slow cooker can help you make delicious meals in less than half the time you would need to make it in a regular pot, and that’s pretty amazing in my opinion.
That said, if you don’t have a slow cooker, you can totally use a regular pot to make this Mongolian beef too.
How to Serve the Slow Cooker Mongolian Beef
I love serving this Crockpot Mongolian beef with some steamed rice to make it a complete meal.
You can also go beyond that and team the Mongolian beef with some steamed broccoli, shredded carrots and sliced water chestnuts for that bit of crunch factor.
You can also team up some baby corn and stir fried frozen broccoli along with the cooked rice to go with this dish.
Don’t forget to top the slow cooker Mongolian beef with some chopped green onion before you serve!
More Recipes to Try
If you enjoyed this slow cooker Mongolian beef recipe, and are inspired to try some more such interesting recipes, here are a few handpicked ones you might want to check out.
- Air Fryer Cauliflower With Teriyaki Sauce
- Easy Chinese Chicken Salad
- Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
- 1 lbs. flank steak
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 inch ginger
- 1 scallion
- ½ cup reduced salt soy sauce
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- Salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- Thinly cut the flank steak against the grain, and then dice. Put the steak in a bowl.
- Season flank steak with salt and pepper to taste, and coat with cornstarch. Mix until well combined.
- Mince your ginger and garlic.
- At the bottom of the slow cooker, add the vegetable oil and then add the steak.
- Then add the garlic, ginger, brown sugar, sesame oil, soy sauce and water. Stir ingredients until well combined.
- Turn the slow cooker on 2.5 hours on high or 4-5 hours on low. Then stir when done cooking.
- Slice the scallion. Garnish the Mongolian beef with scallions and sesame seeds and serve over rice.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 431Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 90mgSodium: 1363mgCarbohydrates: 26gFiber: 1gSugar: 15gProtein: 35g