These zucchini chocolate chip muffins are packed with that perfect chocolate flavor and are super moist and rich.
They take just a few minutes to put together, and are made in your humble Air Fryer.
The versatile zucchini blends perfectly with the intense flavors of the chocolate, and together they make for an incredible healthy snack or dessert.
You can think of these as zucchini bread muffins, because their textures just turn out similar to zucchini bread.
What I Love About the Recipe
I’m a big hoarder when it comes to fresh produce, and these zucchini muffins were the perfect way to use up all of those extra zucchinis I had at hand.
My favorite part about this recipe is the fact that while it is a sweet treat, it actually manages to pack in a healthy veggie too, which makes it a great choice for kids too.
These muffins are a level up on the classic zucchini bread recipe which you would usually turn to when you’ve got some extra zucchini to work with. If you love this recipe be sure to check out this Pistachio Bundt Cake too.
Zucchini Muffins Cooking Times
- Prep time: 15 minutes
- Cook time: 12 minutes per batch
- Yields 10-12 muffins
Ingredients For the Zucchini Chocolate Chip Muffins
To make these zucchini muffins, here’s what you’ll need.
- All-purpose flour: Provides the main structure for the muffins.
- Cocoa powder: Imparts a rich, chocolatey flavor and dark color.
- Sugar: Sweetens the muffins, enhancing their overall taste.
- Baking powder: Ensures the muffins rise properly, resulting in a soft and spongy texture.
- Egg: Adds moisture and richness to the muffins.
- Salted butter: Infuses the muffins with a creamy richness.
- Vanilla extract: Elevates the flavors, adding a hint of aromatic sweetness.
- Whole milk: Helps combine the ingredients into a smooth batter.
- Semisweet chocolate chips: Provide delightful bursts of melted chocolate in each bite.
- Zucchini: Forms part of the muffin base, adding structure and a hint of freshness.
How to Make the Zucchini Chocolate Chip Muffins
Once you have all your ingredients ready, here’s what you’ll need to do to make these healthy chocolate chip zucchini muffins.
Step 1: Prepare Dry Ingredients
In a large bowl, combine all the dry ingredients and mix. Set aside.
Step 2: Prepare Wet Ingredients
Mix the milk, egg, melted butter, and vanilla in a separate bowl. Mix.
Step 3: Combine Both Mixtures
Slowly add the dry mixture to the liquid and mix until fully incorporated.
Step 4: Add Shredded Zucchini to the Mixture
Peel and shred the zucchini using a fine cheese grater. Add shredded zucchini to the batter and fold it in.
Step 5: Preheat Air Fryer
Pre-heat the air fryer at 350°f
Step 6: Fold in Chocolate Chips
Fold in 3/4 cup of chocolate chips.
Step 7: Pour Muffin Batter into Prepared Muffin Cups
Spray jumbo muffin liners and fill 3/4 way full. Top batter with 4-5 chocolate chips and place in the air fryer basket.
Step 8: Bake Until Toothpick Inserted Comes out Clean
Cook at 350°f for 12 minutes or until fully cooked. Use a toothpick to stick in the middle of a muffin. If you have batter on it when you pull it out continue to cook and test every minute until the zucchini chocolate chip muffins are fully cooked.
Step 9: Let Cool on a Wire Rack
Remove and let cool before removing from muffin liners.
Step 10: Store and Enjoy
Enjoy and store on the counter for 5 days, or the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Tips & Tricks to Make the Zucchini Chocolate Chip Muffins
Ready to try out these zuchinni chocolate chip muffins? Here are some more tips and tricks you might want to note down.
- I used all purpose flour for this recipe, but you could use whole wheat flour instead if you want the muffins to be healthier.
- If you have any leftover batter, you can also use the batter made using whole wheat flour and use it to make zucchini bread.
- I used butter, but if you’re looking for make a vegan version of this zucchini muffin recipe, you can use olive oil, coconut oil or any vegetable oil of your choice as a substitute.
- To substitute the egg, you can use some unsweetened applesauce.
- For the whole milk that the recipe calls for, you can use almond milk or any dairy free milk of your choice. Orange juice is also another great option.
- If you’re using baking soda for the recipe, remember to check the proportion as baking soda and baking powder aren’t the perfect swap for each other proportion-wise.
- I would recommend removing the excess water from the grated zucchini before you add it into the muffin mixture.
- Also remember to grease the muffin cup well or just use paper liners or cupcake liners to make these zucchini muffins.
- You can also choose to bake these in the oven as opposed to your Air Fryer. Just remember to grease your muffin pan or muffin tin well before you pour in the mixture.
Can I Make these Zucchini Chocolate Chip Muffins Gluten Free?
You totally can.
Just swap the all purpose flour in the recipe with some almond flour or oat flour.
What Else Can I Add to the Muffins?
You could also add some chopped walnuts into the zucchini mixture to bring a bit of texture to these muffins.
Dark chocolate chips are another fantastic addition- you can use them instead of regular chocolate chips to bring some more intense flavors to these zucchini chocolate chip muffins.
In fact, you can also top the zucchini bread mixture with some mini chocolate chips if you want to.
How Do I Store the Zucchini Chocolate Chip Muffins?
Since these zucchini muffins are made using shredded zucchini, you may want to store them in the refrigerator or freeze them to keep them fresh.
Yes! This zucchini muffin recipe is freezer friendly too!
Simply remove the zucchini chocolate chip muffins from the muffin pan and transfer them to an airtight container before you refrigerate them.
Enjoy Your Zucchini Chocolate Chip Muffins
If you enjoyed these zucchini chocolate chip muffins and are inspired to try some more tasty recipes, why not try some maple sugar cookies or make some Vegan marshmallows to go in your mug of hot cocoa? That would go perfect with cookies or muffins!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, aerated
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 large egg
- 5 Tbsp salted butter, melted
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips, divided
- 1 finely shredded zucchini
- In a large bowl, combine all the dry ingredients and mix.
- Set aside.Mix the milk, egg, melted butter, and vanilla in a separate bowl.
- Mix.Slowly add the dry mixture to the liquid and mix until fully incorporated.
- Peel and shred the zucchini using a fine cheese grater.
- Add shredded zucchini to the batter and fold it in.
- Pre-heat the air fryer at 350°f
- Fold in 3/4 cup of chocolate chips.
- Spray jumbo muffin liners and fill 3/4 way full. Top batter with 4-5 chocolate chips and place in the air fryer basket.
- Cook at 350°f for 12 minutes or until fully cooked. Use a toothpick to stick in the middle of a muffin. If you have batter on it when you pull it out continue to cook and test every minute until the zucchini chocolate chip muffins are fully cooked.
- Remove and let cool before removing from muffin liners.
- Enjoy and store on the counter for 5 days, or the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 312Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 36mgSodium: 166mgCarbohydrates: 46gFiber: 3gSugar: 22gProtein: 6g