Is it weird to say something I did is ‘the best’??
It feels kinda weird. But it’s not really like I’m saying I created the best gluten free chocolate chip cookie recipe ever… ever.
I’m actually just saying I think this happens to be the best gluten free chocolate chip cookie recipes because…. it’s a cassava flour recipe.
No nuts, friends.
In the last few years, gluten free/Paleo baking has really emerged & we’ve seen some amazing ingredients introduced into the scene. When I started baking with alternative flours a few years ago, I really only dabbled in coconut & almond flours because they were not only the most popular, they were the easiest to find. Unfortunately, our youngest, Arthur, is sensitive to nuts.
But now we’ve seen an increase in flours like tapioca, rice, arrowroot & cassava, among others.
To be honest, I’m not a baking wizard. I have to work hard at baking (boo!) & my results aren’t always the best. That’s the main reason I avoided trying out cassava flour for awhile for finally my curiosity got the better of me & I ordered a bag of Otto’s.
Whoosh, fast forward & I’ve dusted my elbows & apron with the makings of at least 6 dozen cookies, a batch of tortillas, a couple of chocolate sheet cakes & like, 6 pies. All thanks to the miracle flour – cassava.
I’m not kidding when I say it’s easily the best flour I’ve used in terms of 1 – 1 substitutions. Does it always sub exactly 1 for 1 in all my recipes? No. But it’s pretty darn close. When I’m testing something new, I usually start with 1/2 to 3/4 of cassava to the amount of gluten flour that’s called for.
I made my grandmother’s chocolate sheet cake & the similarities were shocking. My dad (who loves all things gluten, homogenized & conventional) said he couldn’t even tell it was made with an alternative flour. Wowza. That’s impressive.
To debut my cassava flour cookie recipe collection (I’m just going to go ahead & assume there will be a collection at some point) I present to you, the best gluten free chocolate chip cookie recipe.
Best Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
- ½ cup Organic Sugar (or Maple Sugar)
- 3 Tablespoons Coconut Sugar
- 1 stick Butter (1/2 cup), softened - make sure the butter is softened & not melted, otherwise the cookies can spread too much during baking.
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla
- 1 whole Egg
- 1 Egg Yolk
- ½ cup + 2 Tablespoons Otto's Cassava Flour
- ½ Teaspoon Baking Soda
- ¼ Teaspoon Salt
- ½ cup Chocolate Chips (I like Enjoy Life brand)
- Preheat oven to 375.
- In a large mixing bowl cream together sugars, butter, vanilla, egg & yolk.
- Once they are well combined, add in cassava flour, baking soda & salt.
- With a spatula, fold in chocolate chips.
- Using a cookie scooper or small spoon, place in rounded scoops on a lined baking sheet.
- Place in the oven & bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven & cool on a cooling rack.
Hungry for more cassava flour recipes?
Click here for my Gluten Free Olive Oil & Pluot Cake.
Making these for the holiday? Don’t forget my recipe for homemade marshmallows!
*This post contains affiliate links! Thanks for supporting EYB!