These pickled cucumbers and tomatoes are the perfect way to use up any extra fresh cucumbers that you may have at hand.
If you haven’t tried making homemade pickles before, you’ll be surprised at the simplicity of this recipe.
They’re crunchy, tangy and sweet all at the same time and can beautifully amp up the flavors of any and all of your favorite recipes.
What I Love About the Recipe
I love making refrigerator pickles. They last for weeks when stored correctly, and I always have a batch of crunchy pickles at hand to use as a side to any of my favorite foods.
These pickled cucumbers and tomatoes in specific, have the perfect balance of flavors and textures, and take barely any kitchen time and effort to put together.
Ingredients For the Pickled Cucumbers and Tomatoes
To make this quick pickled cucumbers and tomatoes, here’s all you’ll need.
- Cherry tomatoes: Yellow or red, they add a sweet-tart flavor and a pop of color.
- Cucumbers: Persian or Kirby cucumbers provide a crisp, refreshing crunch.
- White vinegar: Acts as the pickling agent, giving the veggies their tangy flavor.
- Whole spices: Bay leaf, cumin, and cloves infuse the brine with complex, aromatic flavors.
- Herbs: Fresh parsley and dill lend a fresh, earthy touch to the mix.
- Salt and sugar: Balance each other out, seasoning the pickles while also tempering the vinegar’s acidity.
How to Pickle Cucumbers and Tomatoes
Think you’re ready to try pickling cucumbers? Here’s the step by step process to do it right.
Step 1: Slice Cucumbers
Rinse the cucumbers, peel them and unpeel them with a mandolin slicer.
Step 2: Add Herbs to Sterilized Jars
Sterilize the jar and lid. Pour water into a clean jar on a finger and send it to the microwave for 4 minutes on full power. drain the remaining water. boil the lid for 2 minutes. put clean herbs and spices in the jar.
Step 3: Wrap Cherry Tomatoes with the Sliced Cucumbers
Wrap the tomatoes with 2-3 cucumber slices. You can simply roll the cucumbers into a snail.
Step 4: Add to a Jar and Pour Vinegar Mixture
Tightly stack the cucumbers and tomatoes in a jar. pour in salt and sugar. Boil water and fill the jar to the top. Cover loosely with a lid and leave for 1 hour to warm up. Drain the water. Pour off 1/3 of the water and supplement the solution with vinegar. Boil the marinade and pour over the jar. Screw the lid on tightly.
Step 5: Can and Store
Check the canning for leaks. Put the jar on the lid and leave it to cool down. Transfer the jar to a dry place for storage.
Tips & Tricks to Nail the Quick Pickled Cucumber Recipe
Ready to try this pickled cucumber recipe? Here are some tips and tricks you might want to take note of.
- I would recommend adding a few sprigs of fresh dill to bring a nice pop of color and some extra flavor into these quick pickles. If you don’t have it, you can add some dried dill instead.
- Whole garlic cloves can also be an amazing addition to the vinegar brine.
- To bring a bit of a spicy kick to these pickles, you can also add some red pepper flakes into the mix.
- You can use either rice wine vinegar or distilled white vinegar or even just rice vinegar to make the pickling brine.
- I used thinly sliced cucumbers for this pickle recipe, but you can also choose to cut cucumbers roughly the same size as cherry tomatoes and use them instead.
- Coriander seeds and mustard seeds are some other great additions to the quick pickled cucumbers.
- You can also add other veggies like cauliflower florets, carrots and green beans to make pickled vegetables in the same way.
More Recipes to Try
If you enjoyed making these quick pickled cucumbers, here are some more interesting recipes you might want to try out.
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 3 cucumbers
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. cloves
- 2-3 sprigs of parsley
- 1 1/2 tsp dill or fennel
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. sugar.
- Think you're ready to try pickling cucumbers? Here's the step by step process to do it right.
- Rinse the cucumbers, peel them and unpeel them with a mandolin slicer.
- Sterilize the jar and lid. Pour water into a clean jar on a finger and send it to the microwave for 4 minutes on full power. drain the remaining water. boil the lid for 2 minutes. put clean herbs and spices in the jar.
- Wrap the tomatoes with 2-3 cucumber slices. You can simply roll the cucumbers into a snail.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 44Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 406mgCarbohydrates: 8gFiber: 2gSugar: 5gProtein: 1g