Can I just come clean on something? I actually really dislike cauliflower rice. In fact, in general, it’s safe to say cauliflower would not be on my most favorite vegetable list at all. The ‘ricing’ of cauliflower seems like a feeble attempt to make a pretty tasteless veggie a bit more appealing but somehow fails miserably.
Have you ever actually riced cauliflower?
If Demetri Martin could liken glitter to the herpes of arts & crafts, I could easily say the same about cauliflower rice in the kitchen. “If you get it on you, be prepared to have it forever…”
When I rice cauliflower it gets everywhere. My hands, my clothes, the floor, the counters… And don’t try & sweep it up with the broom. You’ll only make it worse.
I realize I’m not exactly selling this recipe as a winner at this point but if you can have faith in anything it should be this – even with all my disdain for cauliflower rice, this winter kale salad with pomegranate, almond and cauliflower is a recipe worth making.
Even in the winter, I found my body craving fresh greens. Greens of any kind actually. I can feel my body asking for them. I have a lovely raw, summer fruit & kale salad with a honey & lemon dressing I adore but since it’s not summer, I don’t have cherries & fresh peaches a plenty. I decided to take that simple dressing & use it for a winter salad.
How to prepare my winter kale salad
- PREPARATION TIME: 10 mins
- COOK TIME: 30 mins
- TOTAL TIME: 40 mins
- AUTHOR: Trisha
- SERVES: 6-8 servings
- One head of Cauliflower, riced in a food processor (approx 3 cups)
- 2 Tablespoons Avocado Oil (for rice)
- 6 cups Kale, thinly sliced
- ½ cup Pomegranate Seeds
- ½ cup Slivered Almonds
- For the dressing:
- 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 3 Tablespoons Lemon Juice + Zest of 1 Lemon
- 2 Tablespoons Honey
- Salt to taste
- Preheat the oven to 425 & line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Rice the cauliflower by putting small pieces into a food processor or high powered blender until it’s completely chopped & looks like rice. Will likely need to be done in small batches.
- Spread the riced cauliflower all over the baking sheet & cover in avocado oil. Bake for approx 30 minutes, removing after every 10 mins to stir the cauliflower.
- While the cauliflower rice is cooking, make the dressing in a large bowl.
- Add olive oil, lemon juice + zest, honey & a pinch of salt. Whisk until well combined.
- Toss the thinly sliced kale into the dressing & set aside.
- Once the rice is beginning to brown, remove from oven. Let cool slightly.
- Add pomegranates & almonds to the kale mixture.
- Add the cauliflower rice, approx 3 cups, to the kale mixture & toss well together.
- Feel free to add more salt or lemon juice to taste
And in case you’re a super BIG fan of cauliflower rice & think I’m crazy, I do have another cauliflower rice recipe for you enthusiasts.
Click here to see Cilantro Cumin Cauliflower Rice
Looking for more lovely, winter salads? I’ve got you covered!
Click here to see 20+ Colorful Winter Salads to Eat Right Now!29