So let’s just get this over with, shall we? I made a square galette. I made a lemon and blueberry gluten free galette… and it’s square.
The term ‘galette’ technically means round pastry.
Either I’m incredibly ignorant in the ways of French pastries or I’m a totally renegade.
I’m gonna confess it’s the first.
Looking for more gluten free blueberry recipes?
See, I recently discovered ‘the galette’ after an Insta-friend told me I should make one. I took a look around & I figured, if there was every a pastry that I could relate to so completely, it would in fact be the galette. Simple, messy, rough around the edges. Yep, that’s me. In fact, this pastry is so low maintenance (I mean, as far as pastries go, ya know) that I’ve deemed it my spirit pastry. I made a little joke on Instagram about how ‘galette’ likely meant ‘lazy pastry’ in French. Then I got to thinking… Hmmm, I wonder what it does actually mean?
Um. It means flat, round pastry.
And well, I’d already styled & shot my flat, square pastry so… that’s what you’re getting.
Now, I’m going to give you full permission to make this pastry any ol’ way your heart desires. I won’t judge you. In fact, I say we proudly proclaim square galettes become a thing. Why not.
The only rule you really should abide by is having parchment paper to help roll this baby out. Because we aren’t working with traditional gluten pastries, it’s a bit sticky. Having an extra layer of parchment paper to place on top will help you roll the gluten free galette dough out.
You also might be curious about that dairy free option. I use butter for the crust but you can totally use organic palm shortening to make it dairy free.
How to prepare lemon and blueberry galette
- PREP TIME: 40 mins
- COOK TIME: 30 mins
- TOTAL TIME: 1 hour 10 mins
- AUTHOR: Trisha
- SERVES: 4 – 6 servings
- For the crust:
- ½ cup Coconut Flour
- ¼ cup Tapioca Flour
- ½ tsp Xanthan Gum
- 1 tsp Sugar (Organic Coconut, Maple, Cane, etc.)
- Pinch of Salt
- 6 Tblspn Butter, room temperature, separated (use Organic Palm Shortening for dairy free option)
- 6 Tblspn Ice Cold Water
- For the filling:
- 1 pint Blueberries
- 1 tsp Tapioca Flour
- 1 tsp Sugar
- Zest of one Lemon
- Juice of ½ Lemon
- In a large bowl, mix together from the crust ingredients list: coconut flour, tapioca flour, xantham gum, sugar & salt.
- Add in butter one tablespoon at a time & mash until well combined.
- Once all the butter is added, add in water, one tablespoon at a time, mixing with a fork until mixture is sticky enough to form a ball.
- Roll into a ball & place in a container (or plastic baggie) in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- While you’re waiting for dough to chill, make the filling & preheat the oven to 400.
- From the filling ingredients list, mix together in a large bowl: blueberries, tapioca flour, sugar, lemon zest & juice.
- Mix together until well combined.
- Once dough is chilled, place dough on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper.
- Using another sheet of parchment paper over the top to prevent the dough from sticking, roll the dough out until it’s ¼ inch thick. You can roll into a square or a circle & remember the ends are meant to look rough!
- Once dough is rolled out, remove the top parchment paper & add blueberry mixture to the center.
- Using the bottom sheet of parchment paper, fold the edges of the pastry up & press them together where the edges meet.
- Place in the oven & cook for 30-35 minutes.
- Serve with extra lemon zest or a scoop of ice cream!