In case you missed your first introduction to Frontier Co-op with my Purple Potato Salad with Herbed Vinaigrette, make sure you pop over & see that recipe! I was honestly so touched by all the messages I received from you about Frontier Co-op, their mission & your enthusiasm to support them. I’ve been eagerly planning this Lavender Lemon Curd for a couple months & I can’t wait to share a bit more about both the recipe & of course, how we cook with purpose in our house! As many of you know, our family loves to focus on real food to not only nourish but also heal. Changing how our family eats has been one of the biggest undertakings of the past few years, but it’s one we’ve taken seriously. Along with focusing on real food we also love when we have the opportunity to purchase with purpose by choosing companies & products that align with our values in regards to not only quality, but also sourcing. I love knowing that Frontier Co-op works hard to responsibly source & give back to the communities it gets it’s herbs & extracts from & I love that I can confidently support a world, just by picking up a few things at my local grocery store.
For this recipe I used both dried Lavender & Vanilla Extract from Frontier Co-op & was so excited to find this short video about where they’ve sourced the vanilla beans in Madagascar. Frontier Co-op was able to dig 49 wells in vanilla farming communities to provide clean water to nearly 25,000 people!
Clean drinking water is not something I can even fathom living without but I know that it’s actually quite a luxury! It truly fills my heart to know that such a simple purchase like vanilla can help to provide for these families a world away.
For a truly spectacular lemon curd, I definitely recommend using the best quality ingredients. And since there are only a handful of ingredients in the recipe, by using the best vanilla, butter & egg yolks, the flavors of the curd can really shine. I especially love the addition of lavender here, which is very subtle.
How to prepare my lavander vanilla lemon curd
- PREPARATION TIME: 10 mins
- COOK TIME: 20 mins
- TOTAL TIME: 30 mins
- AUTHOR: Trisha
- SERVES: 1 cup
- 5 Egg Yolks
- ⅓ cup Honey
- ⅓ cup Lemon Juice
- 2 Tablespoons Frontier Co-op Dried Lavender Flowers
- 1 teaspoon Frontier Co-op Vanilla Extract
- Pinch of Salt
- 6 Tablespoons Grass Fed Butter
- Using a double boiler method, place one to two inches of water into a heavy bottom pot.
- Place a glass bowl over the top & make sure the bowl doesn’t touch the water.
- Over medium heat, bring the water to a simmer.
- In the glass bowl, whisk egg yolks & honey until they’re pale.
- Add in the lemon juice, lavender, vanilla & pinch of salt. Switch to using a spatula to stir the mixture & stir continuously so the eggs won’t over cook.
- Add butter slowly, a tablespoon at a time, stirring continuously until mixture starts to thicken.
- This could take up to 20 minutes for the mixture to thicken. You’ll notice the consistency on the back of your spatula & you should be able to draw a defined line on the coated spoon with your finger.
- Once mixture is thickened, strain through a sieve & pour into one to two cups.
- Place in the refrigerator to cool & solidify.