We’ve been going to the grocery store as a family lately. Weird, I know. I used to enjoy going to the store myself as it was kind of an escape but the past few months it’s felt more & more like torture. I kept extending the days between shops or ask my husband to pick something up on the way home. I think he was getting wise to that so a few Sunday’s back he suggested we all go to the store.
All of us? I asked
Sure, why not?
If 4 kids in a grocery store isn’t an adventure, then I don’t know what is.
This week, I just about fell over when I found blood oranges. I’m sure that’s a sight not uncommon for some people, but the store we typically hit isn’t as produce adventurous as some larger places. I almost wondered if the blood oranges where sent there by mistake… But quickly forgot about that as I loaded up a bag to the brim & then remembered I had 4 kids in the grocery store & that ain’t the time for day dreaming, my friends. Am I right?
I knew exactly what I’d make too. A gluten free olive oil and blood orange cake.
I use a tart pan with a removable center to easily invert the cake once it’s baked. Oh & for best results, make sure you get Otto’s Cassava Flour.
How to make a gluten free olive oil and blood orange cake
- PREPARATION TIME: 10 mins
- COOK TIME: 30 mins
- TOTAL TIME: 40 mins
- AUTHOR: Trisha
- SERVES: 6 servings
- 2 Blood Oranges (1 thinly sliced & set aside, 1 juiced with approx ¼ cup juice)
- ¼ cup Coconut Sugar
- Coconut Oil for greasing
- Dry Ingredients:
- ½ cup Coconut Flour, sifted
- ⅓ cup Otto’s Cassava Flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon Ground Clove
- Wet Ingredients:
- ½ cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ⅓ cup Maple Syrup
- 2 Eggs, beated
- 1 Tablespoon Vanilla
- 2 Tablespoons Lemon Juice + Zest of 1 Lemon
- ¼ cup Fresh Blood Orange Juice
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Using a tart pan with a removable bottom, line the bottom with parchment paper. Grease the parchment paper with melted coconut oil & then sprinkle the ¼ cup Coconut Sugar on top.
- Place the thinly sliced blood oranges on top of the coconut sugar.
- Set tart pan aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift dry ingredients & set aside.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, add wet ingredients.
- Slowly add wet ingredients to dry ingredients & mix with a hand mixer until well combined.
- Using a spatula, pour the batter into the tart pan, on top of the sliced oranges.
- Place in the preheated oven & cook for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Once removed, let cool slightly until you can handle the pan.
- Place a plate on top of the cake & quickly flip it over to invert the cake.
- Remove the tart bottom & the parchment paper should peel up easily.
- Serve warm.
Love olive oil cakes? Don’t miss my Gluten Free Olive Oil & Pluot Cake!36