I whipped this up one weekend & shared it on Instagram because… well, that’s where I share all my food, right! While I really didn’t intend to shoot this recipe & post it, it can never be said that I won’t give you a recipe when you want one. A family member was immediately all up on this French Toast, like – Give me this recipe, lady!
Because I like her I said, Ok, Erica. You got it, babe.
Here’s the thing, though. Do not be mislead that this is some kind of healthy, whole foods recipe. It’s not. It is a total naughty, sugary, “cheat meal”, 80/20, Paleo police, whatever you want to call it casserole.
But because sometimes life calls for a naughty, sugary, “cheat meal”, 80/20, Paleo police, whatever you want to call it casserole, I made one. Then I thought I’d pass along the recipe in case you wanted to make one too. Mmmk?
Now that that’s cleared up, let’s get to the good stuff, shall we?
I used a loaf of gluten free bread from the grocery store but if you’re a total DIYer you could make a mean loaf of gluten free bread at home by using one of Brittany Angell’s recipes from Every Last Crumb. Check out my review of Every Last Crumb here!
How to prepare my blueberry french toast casserole
- PREP TIME: 10 mins
- COOK TIME: 50 mins
- TOTAL TIME: 1 hour
- AUTHOR: Trisha
- SERVES: 6-8 servings
- Half a loaf of Gluten Free Bread (7-8 pieces), cubed
- 1 8oz Cream Cheese, cubed
- 1 cup Blueberries (frozen or fresh)
- 8 eggs
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- ½ cup Pure Maple Syrup
- Coconut Oil for greasing pan
- I typically assemble this the night before we plan to eat it. It soaks in the fridge overnight & then it’s eaten in the morning. Either way, you will preheat the oven to 375.
- Oil the bottom & sides of a 9×9 casserole dish.
- Layer cubed bread, cubed cream cheese & blueberries in the casserole dish.
- In a separate bowl. whisk eggs with vanilla & maple syrup.
- Pour egg mixture over the ingredients in the dish.
- At this point I cover the dish & leave it to soak overnight. You probably don’t have to do this but it helps the bread absorb the egg.
- Place in the preheated oven & bake for 45-50 minutes until the egg mixture is cooked. If you find your bread is getting to brown you can always lightly cover the dish with some foil for the remainder of the cooking time.
- Remove from oven & serve!