Full disclosure, this Curried Butternut Squash Soup recipe is a revival. But I’m pretty sure you’ve never made it. Yes, you. And you, & you, & probably you. I first wrote this recipe 3 years ago when my blog was in it’s infancy. My taste palette wasn’t quite as practiced, my recipe writing skills not quite as polished & my photography skills… fugetaboutit.
I’ve been practicing the art of listening to the universe lately & for some reason, I kept coming back to this recipe or rather, it kept coming back to me. So, I decided to dust off this recipe (& my camera) & create some revisions today. When I say dust off my camera, I mean rather literally. After spending a week not shooting, getting our house ready to put on the market, things felt a bit clunky in the kitchen. There is something to be said for running a well oiled machine. I definitely had to work on my timing this morning. Things felt off, weird, my styling felt muddy. It’s not a feeling I love but it’s something I can appreciate. I’ve been so looking forward to shooting today after a week of painting, organizing, staging, polishing & ducking out for house showings. Today was a good feeling – getting back to my routine – no matter how awkward it may have felt at first. And… I am kinda dying over those lime zest curls.
How to prepare my curried butternut squash soup
- PREPARATION TIME: 1 hour 10 mins
- COOK TIME: 10 mins
- TOTAL TIME: 1 hour 20 mins
- TIPS: Butternut squash soup is such a versatile dish to really explore with different spices and flavors. Change things up with this velvety, curried version. This soup is even better the next day – if there’s any left over!
- AUTHOR: Trisha
- RECIPE TYPE: Soup
- SERVES: 4 servings
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil for roasting Squash
- 1 Butternut Squash, 2-3 lbs
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Onion, approx 1 cup, chopped
- 3-4 Cloves Garlic, chopped
- 1 Cup of Coconut Milk
- 2 Cups of Chicken Stock (or Vegetable Stock for Vegan option)
- 2 Teaspoons Curry Powder
- ¾ teaspoon Ground Ginger
- 1 Tablespoon Lime juice, freshly squeezed
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Optional topping: Lime Zest, Cilantro
- Preheat the oven to 400.
- Peel & cube the squash. Coat with 2 Tablespoons of oil & season with salt. Place on a parchment covered baking sheet & roast for 45 minutes, turning the squash at least once during roasting, so they’ll be well caramelized.
- Once finished, remove squash from the oven & set aside.
- In a cast iron pot, add 2 Tablespoons of olive oil & sauté the onions. Once they are soft, add in the garlic & sauté until fragrant.
- Add the roasted squash, coconut milk & stock. With an immersion blender, blend until smooth.
- Add in the curry powder, ginger, lime juice & season with salt to taste.
- Serve in bowls & top with lime zest, a drizzle of coconut milk & cilantro leaves