I have this thing with eggs. I can’t think of any other food that’s as versatile or chameleon-like in our house. I actually decided to google ‘the most versatile food’ right after I typed that & turns out – according to several sources, eggs aren’t even listed. So… ok fine. I quantified that statement with ‘in our house’ in case you literally have nothing else to do & decided to put me to the google test & then email me & say, No, Trisha. You’re wrong. Eggs are not the most versatile food. I got it. Let’s just say, if I wrote my own list of most versatile foods. I would list eggs as numero uno. In which case, I’m thrilled to introduce my caramelized fennel asparagus and chive quiche.
I actually really like quiches but typically stick with frittatas like this Pepperoni Pizza Frittata & this Mushroom & Asparagus Frittata. The main reason – crust. Up until now, I hadn’t found a crust recipe I really really liked.
But you guys, this crust recipe, I really really like. It’s pretty serious. And if I’m totally honest, I’m going to try & push you ever so slightly to the duck fat version because in my opinion, it’s just my favorite. So… first order of business, head over here & make my Cassava Flour Pie Crust recipe.
Probably my favorite thing about this recipe is that it’s pretty darn easy to put together but looks so impressive!
How to prepare my caramelized fennel asparagus and chive quiche
- PREPARATION TIME: 20 mins
- COOK TIME: 30 mins
- TOTAL TIME: 50 mins
- AUTHOR: Trisha
- SERVES: 1 quiche
- 1 crust recipe
- 1 Fennel bulb, trimmed & halved, hard inner piece removed, thinly sliced, fronds reserved for garnish
- 1-2 Tablespoons Butter or Oil
- ½ Bunch Asparagus, trimmed (approx 12 pieces)
- 6 Eggs
- ½ cup Milk (cow or other)
- ¼ cup Chives, chopped
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- Make crust recipe.
- While crust is baking, caramelize the thinly sliced fennel in your choice of fat over a low heat. Fennel is finished with it’s quite brown & soft. Set it aside to cool.
- Once crust is finished baking, reduce oven temperature to 400. Remove the crust & set aside to cool slightly.
- Place the asparagus in the crust.
- Beat eggs with milk, chives & salt.
- Pour eggs into slightly cooled crust.
- Add fennel to the top.
- Place in the oven for 25-30 minutes until the center is set.
- Remove from heat & garnish with small pieces of fennel fronds.
This uses a cassava flour crust with a vegan crust option as well!23