Truth be told, I’d never had Indian food until we lived in England. When our family moved there the choices were endless! Right next to every corner chip shop you could typically also find an Indian restaurant close by & samosas were some of my favorite treats.
Fast forward a few years & a few kids. We haven’t been to nearly as many Indian restaurants since we moved back to the states but more importantly, since we went gluten free. It’s especially tricky for us since our youngest, Arthur, can’t have tomatoes or peppers either.
I was flipping through some of my super old cookbooks, ones I’d collected while living overseas, & was instantly inspired to recreate a samosa recipe. Instead of slaving over perfecting some gluten free pastry recipe (which sounds like a nightmare, honestly) I figured I’d stuff it all into a baked potato. Easy peasy.
You can totally stuff this into a sweet potato as well! That’s actually how some of our kids prefer it!
How to prepare my beef samosa stuffes baked potatoes
- PREPARATION TIME: 30 mins
- COOK TIME: 1 hour
- TOTAL TIME: 1 hour 30 mins
- AUTHOR: Trisha
- SERVES: 4-6 servings
- For potatoes:
- 4-6 Russet Potatoes, washed
- For beef mixture:
- 2 Tablespoons Oil
- 1 teaspoon Mustard Seed
- 1 teaspoon Coriander Seed
- 1 cup Onions. diced
- 1 cup Carrots, chopped
- 1 lb Grass Fed Organic Ground Beef
- 1 Tablespoon Ginger, grated
- 2-3 cloves Garlic, minced
- 2 Turkish Bay Leaves
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric
- 1 Tablespoon + 1 teaspoon Garam Masala
- ¼ teaspoon ground Coriander
- 1 cup Frozen, Organic Peas
- Up to ½ cup Water or Broth
- Optional garnish or fresh cilantro or fresh chopped dates
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Wash & dry potatoes. Poke all over with a fork, cover with oil & season liberally with salt. Place in oven & cook for 30-45 minutes until a knife goes into them easily. Remove them from the oven & set aside. About halfway through cooking beef mixture, you’ll cut them down the center & remove some of the insides. Set the insides to the side to add at the end of the beef mixture.
- To make the beef mixture:
- Add oil to a heavy skillet.
- Add mustard & coriander seeds.
- Once the seeds begin to pop, add onions & carrots. Sauté until the mixture is soft.
- Add the ground beef & with a spatula, crumble the beef well.
- Add in the grated ginger, fresh garlic & bay leaves. Continue to stir.
- Add turmeric, garam masala, ground coriander, frozen peas, potato insides & water if the mixture is dry.
- Season liberally with salt & let simmer.
- Remove the bay leaves & fill each potato with the beef mixture.
- Place back into the oven at 400 & cook for 10 minutes or until the potato is well heated.
- Serve with optional garnish of fresh cilantro or chopped dates.
Looking for more potato recipes? Check out these winners:38