I am totally digging all things autumnal. I’m also digging that word – autumnal. For some reason, it seems to be quite a buzz word this year making me think there just weren’t enough ways for us to make fall FALL ENOUGH so we brought back the word autumnal just to really drive the point home.
And I like it.
Unlike most fall inspired things, I wasn’t really feeling pumpkin this year. I’m not a PSL girl. I do have Uggs but I only wear them when it’s really cold. I can rock a flannel like no one’s business so at least there’s that.
This year we actually had quite a good year with our backyard butternut squash harvest. Like, the kind of harvest you high five each other & start counting all the dollars you would have spent on organic butternut squash at the store. So of course I needed to start getting creative with my butternut squash recipe repertoire by adding a gluten free butternut squash macaroni and NO cheese.
Want more butternut squash recipes? Click here!
I should also mention, to cut down on dishes I definitely recommend a skillet that can go from stove top to oven, like this one.
Let’s just take a look at this beauty, shall we?
As I mentioned, this gluten free pasta recipe is completely dairy free. We like to top ours with some salty Parmesan cheese but that’s totally optional which makes this a super versatile dish. So versatile in fact that you could even replace the coconut milk with cream if coconut milk isn’t your thing.
I also have to mention, because we so rarely cook pasta I’ve found a little gem that I’ve absolutely fallen in love with! Have you heard of Pasta Rocks? You have to use one of these if you ever make pasta! It makes salting your pasta fool proof.
I first got my Pasta Rock in my monthly Hatchery box & my first thought was, what are we gonna do with THIS? Turns, out, I used up my entire little first rock & had them send me a full size jar! These little rocks are the best!
Butternut Squash Macaroni and No Cheese
I have to also mention that this recipe is just one of over 20 gluten free recipes that you can have for FREE today! To get my FREE ebook, Celebrate Harvest click here! You’ll get instant access to all the dishes we’ll be serving this holiday at our table including my favorite way to make a turkey (Hint: it’s not the traditional way, far from it!) & step by step pictures on how to make a gluten free pie crust. Click here for your FREE copy of Celebrate Harvest!
- 2 lbs Butternut Squash (approx. 4 cups), peeled & diced
- ¼ cup Shallots, diced
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced
- 2 Tablespoons Fresh Sage, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 cup Coconut Milk
- 1 cup Reserved Pasta Water
- 8 oz box of gluten free Elbow Noodles
- Parmesan (optional topping)
- Preheat the oven to 400.
- In an oven safe skillet, heat oil, then add shallots & garlic.
- Sauté a few seconds until fragrant, make sure not to burn.
- Add diced butternut squash & chopped sage. Toss until well coated in oil.
- Once squash is well coated in oil, place the skillet in the oven & roast for 25-30 minutes until soft.
- The last 10-15 minutes of squash cooking time, cook your pasta according to the box directions. Once pasta is finished cooking, make sure to reserve a cup of the pasta water before draining.
- Remove the butternut squash from the oven & set aside to cool slightly.
- In a blender, combine the butternut squash, coconut milk & up to 1 cup of pasta water until you've reached the desired consistency of the sauce. Season with salt & pepper.
- Combine cooked noodles with sauce & serve immediately.
Hungry for more?
Click here for my One Skillet Chicken Thighs with Butternut Squash.
Click here for my Stuffed Butternut Squash.
Click here for my Apple, Cranberry & Butternut Squash Bake.
Click here for my Butternut Squash Casserole.
*This post contains affiliate links. If you choose to purchase something, via one of my links, at no extra cost to you, EYB makes a few extra pennies. Thanks for helping support EYB!